Looming Looney

Welcome to the home of the Looming Looney. Come and knit a spell.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Introducing the looming looney! I have been loom knitting for a week and a half now. And have managed to finish two projects and start a 3rd. Can't you see I'm a semi-pro :-0. During that time I also got serious about leaning to knit using needles, but that my dear will take a long, long, long time to master. Casting on can be a bitch. I decided to documents my ups and what I'm sure will be many downs as I go through the learning and creating process. I hope you enjoy.

My first project was a basic hat for my daughters doll baby. It came out pretty good for the first presentable project. I used Peaches & Cream, 4 ply worsted weight, Fiesta Ombra color (175). What do you think?


My 10 year old son wanted to make one too and I must say I am almost embarrased to say that his turned out much better than my hat.


I like my colors better though. Any way, for my nest project I am making a cute little scarf with fun fur.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    GREAT job!!! New to KK too and so far have only made preemie caps to give to charity - LOve working with KK though - also needle knit. How far are you from Lewes, De. Maybe we could get together midpoint sometime for a meet and greet.
    Barb, beach bum

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger Looming Looney said…

    I live in Oxon Hill, Maryland which is probably 2 1/2 hour drive from you. I've been trying
    to get to Ocean City maybe we can do a meet and greet
    there. I'll have to work on getting the hubby to do the driving, of course. I would love to see pics of your creations. tonya5015@yahoo.com

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Amoonsinger said…

    Hi Tonya, You have the best of worlds right now in learning to needle knit. There are such wonderful online sites to check out. Do a couple of searches to see. There are even videos to help you along the way. I use to find casting on to be very hard. Always got my stitches too tight, but a little tip from a long time knitter years ago helped me in that. She said cast on to a needle on size larger then you need for your project. Then using the right needle start your knitting off of the larger needle. This keeps the stitches really nice. After a while you start to learn the tension and you don't need that anymore.

    Oh nice job on the loomed hats. Looks good.

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger Mamapooki said…

    Hi Tonys,

    The hats are cute, keep up the needle knitting, if you need any help let me know. I posted a pic of a hand knit sweater I did back in 1978 on my blog. Don't let it scare you, it was easy, a lot of straight knitting and purling was all it took. The dogs were duplicate stitched done with needle and yarn over the knitted stitches.

    Andrea in Indy

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Mamapooki said…

    I happy for you, I want a long loom, and I went to a link where there are instruction to make your onw. It's a thought I do have tools.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home